Postpartum Complications (Part 1)

I have a story to tell.  I’m not looking for sympathy (although prayers are always welcome) or attention.  I just feel the need to write it all down and tell my friends what’s been going on in my life these past few days and weeks.

As my Sabrina approached six weeks of age, my lochia (aka postpartum bleeding) had failed to clear up completely.  I knew this was not normal, but I figured it was because I had just overdone it during my “recovery” period.  As I approached seven weeks postpartum, though, the bleeding started getting heavier.

I felt like something was wrong.  I would sit around half the day thinking that maybe I just needed more rest.  Then I would start to panic because the house was disgusting and do too much.  I felt conflicted and unbalanced.  It made me very frustrated and depressed; I just wanted to get on with my life without this lingering bleeding.

At that time I was schedule for my postpartum check-up with my midwife.  She expressed some concern about my bleeding and after consulting with one of the doctors prescribed for me to take an ulcer medication called Cytotec for three days.  This medication not only causes the stomach and intestines to contract but the uterus as well.  The idea was that the Cytotec would wring out my uterus.

After three days of cramping, my bleeding reverted to the previous lighter flow but still showed no signs of ever stopping completely.  So, last Tuesday I went in for an internal ultrasound with one of the doctors at my OB/GYN office.  She found an 8 millimeter piece of placenta inside my uterus.  She said that I had a 20 to 30% chance of passing it naturally, but if it didn’t pass in two weeks I would have to have a D&C.  Or I could go ahead and have the D&C immediately.

While I was not keen on a D&C, I was more worried about how the procedure might affect Sabrina…like how/if I would be able to breastfeed her the day of the procedure.  They assured me, though, that I could feed her before and immediately after.  So, after talking about it with my husband, mother, and mother-in-law, I decided to get it over with immediately, especially since my husband’s college was getting ready to start back up.  We scheduled the D&C for this past Friday.

We went to the hospital with all four kids in tow on Thursday for registration and pre-op testing.  They drew my blood to check my platelets, hemoglobin, and blood type (in case a transfusion was needed).  And I provided a urine sample to prove that I was not pregnant.  They told me to report at 7:00 the next morning for 9:00 surgery.

They said that we should expect to be at the hospital for five to six hours for this routine outpatient surgery.  We could not anticipate that it would turn into a much longer day and stay…..

Explore posts in the same categories: Pregnancy/Childbirth/Babies

One Comment on “Postpartum Complications (Part 1)”

  1. […] Box of Chocolates You never know what you're going to get from my crazy brain. « Postpartum Complications (Part 1) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: